SAH Program

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) program offers grants to service members and Veterans with certain severe service-connected disabilities. The grants assist with building, remodeling or purchasing an adapted home.


What Is a Specially Adapted Housing Grant?

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant helps disabled Veterans and service members enjoy barrier-free living. One example is a wheelchair accessible home. This can provide independent living that might not otherwise be possible.


The current maximum grant amount is $100,896. It must be used for the purpose of constructing or modifying a home to meet adaptive needs. The maximum grant amount adjusts annually, so please visit the website link below.

Visit SAH Benifits

What Is a Special Housing Adaptation Grant?

The Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant can be used to increase your mobility throughout your residence. The current maximum grant amount is $20,215. The maximum grant amount adjusts annually, so please visit the website Veterans and service members with specific service-connected disabilities may be eligible. You must be entitled to disability compensation due to one of the following:


• Anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands or arms below the elbow

• Severe burn injury

• Certain respiratory or breathing injuries


If you are eligible for an SAH, SHA, or a Veteran Readiness and Employment Independent Living home adaptation grant, you can use money from your grant up to 6 different times. Depending on your individual needs, you may use as much or as little of your grant as you need this year. If you do not use the full grant amount, you can use more money from the grant in future years.

What Is a Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant?

You can receive a temporary SAH/SHA grant to adapt the home of a family member. The maximum amount available to adapt a family member’s home for the SAH grant is $40,637 and for the SHA grant is $7,256. The maximum grant amounts adjust annually, so please visit the website:

What Is a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations Grant?

A Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant provides assistance for any home improvement necessary for treatment or disability access. Eligible Veterans and service members can receive a HISA grant, as well as either a SAH or SHA grant. This program is available for both Veterans with service-connected disabilities and non-service-connected disabilities:


• Service-connected disabilities: home improvement benefits up to $6,800

• Non-service-connected disabilities: home improvement benefits up to $2,000


Learn more about HISA grants at

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) - Housing Adaptation Assistance

VR&E may provide home adaptations to individuals who are not currently able to work because of the effects of their service-connected disabilities, or who require adaptations to achieve a vocational goal. The benefits are limited to those required to improve independence at home and/or in the community.


• Home adaptations up to $92,569 may be provided as part of an approved rehabilitation plan.


Please visit to learn more about VR&E home adaptation grants and apply for VR&E benefits.